not in my name

--> documenting the death, detention, deportation and dehumanisation of migrants and refugees
--> resisting Fortress Britain, Fortress Europe, Fortress World

Thursday, November 25, 2004

UK: Gay Algerian Refugee Must Stay


from UK Gay News:

A gay Algerian refugee is at risk of deportation back to his home country, where there is a serious danger he would be murdered by Islamic fundamentalists.

“I fled Algeria because the Islamists beat me and threatened to kill me,” said Isalam – not his real name, as he fears the persecution of his family in Algeria.



“Being deported back to Algeria would be a nightmare. It is a very dangerous place for lesbians and gay men. People like me get killed. I could not cope with always looking over my shoulder, fearful of being murdered because of my sexuality,” he added.

Gay rights group OutRage! is backing Isalam’s claim for refuge in the UK.

read full story ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home